Below are some “donts” to keep in mind when interviewing, many of which relate to the most common interviewing errors.
The Alpha Group is one of the largest independently owned staffing services in New England and Southeastern Massachusetts. It is not enough to just say we can meet your staffing needs, there are hundreds of other agencies that make the same claim. The difference between us and them is we truly believe in what we do, and we will meet your staffing needs— every time. Learn more about our staffing services tailored to your business.
Reasons for the heightened use of temps, contractors and the like begin with the shaky business climate. Despite growth and profits, companies have been loath to hire full-time and part-time staff in case the economy suddenly tanks again.
Using temporary workers at the start of a recovery is nothing new. But other factors behind the contingent expansion are less tied to the business cycle. These include cost-savings. Although contractor fees can exceed the hourly wage of a regular employee, especially in the United States where employer-provided health care is standard, the total compensation of a regular employee typically exceeds that of contingents.
Full cycle recruiting means a Recruiter knows how to obtain a search and evaluate the parameters of that job order, negotiate the fee, find an ideal candidate, manage the interview, offer, and acceptance process, close the deal, and get paid within 10 days preferably. Today there are thousands of people in the business world calling themselves Recruiters who, ironically, don't know the fundamentals of recruiting!
If a person wants to work as a Recruiter, in my opinion, the first thing they should do is get some training related to the recruiting process. New Recruiters need to understand the process from start to finish before they can be effective. I've seen many corporations push people into positions with the title of 'Recruiter', without any training. Noone is served well when this happens.
If you're interested in becoming a Recruiter here are 10 reasons to "learn it all".
1. Once one knows how to handle each facet of the process they can focus on enhancing their strengths or improving their weaknesses. Recruiters who know how to recruit effectively can easily find the best niche in the industry for their personality.
2. Knowing what needs to be done during each step of the process gives a Recruiter confidence and the tools they need to evaluate their own performance. They can look back over each placement process and see specifically where they could have said something different to expedite the process or eliminate a roadblock. Their skills allow them to approach passive candidates most effectively.
3. Recruiters with FCR (full cycle recruiting) skills offer the best value to employers, candidates, and themselves. Knowledge is power when it comes to recruiting.
4. FCR is the pathway to make the most money in this industry.
5. When a recruiter is proficient in all the steps of FCR, they can work with other Recruiters to double, maybe triple the number of placements, they could make on their own. Working with a strong team of Recruiters can be both rewarding and lots of fun.
6. Full cycle Recruiters have the skills that are most in demand. The average company in the United States has about 24% turnover a year! That kind of turnover costs companies unnecessary billions each year. Employee retention begins with good hiring practices. If an employee senses they mean nothing to an employer (and many HR departments are famous for making new hires feel like faceless numbers) then new hires feel no obligation to those employers in return
7. When a Recruiter knows FCR they have the most control over their earnings, lifestyle, working conditions, and job satisfaction.
8. FCR is emotionaly, intellectually, and financially rewarding, in my opinion.
9. The skills a Recruiter acquires when they learn FCR are transferable to other areas of work and life. Knowing how to ask questions and listen effectively can help keep a person with teenagers sane. These skills can improve relationships with spouses, neighbors, relatives, and co-workers. These principles apply when one is negotiating to buy a company, car, home, etc.
10. Recruiters who master their craft have less stress and fewer frustrations related to 'lost' deals. They are more effective and successful than those who don't know FCR.
Less than 20% of Recruiters have been trained in full cycle recruiting. That leaves those with full cycle recruiting skills with a tremendous opportunity and vast potential to excel in those industries that attract them most. Don't try and 'wing it' with your career. Make regular investments in your personal recruiter education and it will pay you back countless times over.
Spend time up front to nail the right hires, and build a strong, cohesive team.
Hiring is hard, regardless of your industry or the surplus of candidates in the job market these days. In 7.5 years in business at Metal Mafia, I have hired a lot of great people for my team--but I have also hired many more who were not the right fit. Somewhere after the fifth or sixth bad choice, I decided I must be doing something wrong in the hiring process and tried to figure out how I could recruit and hire more accurately.
Here's what I learned and how I modified our hiring process: